(The following is the text of NTBBC’s submission to CEC’s second ‘trams to Newhaven’ consultation, submitted 7 November 2018)
Trams to Newhaven consultation
Response by New Town & Broughton Community Council
- We welcome the progress that has been made but feel the vision for public realm at Elm Row could be more ambitious.
- We would welcome more detail on the anticipated future of bus services on Leith Walk.
- There should be comprehensive consultation on traffic management during the construction phase.
- There are some concerns about the plans for junctions at London Road and Leith Walk.
- We consider that no use should be made of the ‘triangle’ at Picardy Place which would prevent the possibility of its eventual incorporation into the public space in front of the Cathedral.
We welcome this further engagement by the Council; evidence of a degree of responsiveness to feedback; and the greater transparency with which the engagement has been conducted. We also welcome the postponement of a final decision to allow for more rigorous scrutiny and clarification of bids received.
The proposals for Elm Row show some signs of progress however the revised plans could, in our view, do more to reflect some of the possibilities discussed at the design workshop held in June. Continue reading